Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Hello!

Today's post is about chronic illness and art. This one hits close to home with me because I am an artist. I graduated in December 2013 from Montserrat College of Art with my BFA and my work for my senior exhibition was about my struggles with fibromyalgia. This was mostly because at the time, I was having a lot of difficulty finding other artists with chronic illnesses who made art about it.

After doing some digging, I believe I've found a few for you all to look into!

Patti Edmon is a mixed media artist, photographer, and writer. She began making art when she developed autoimmune arthritis. The link to her blog has beautiful pictures of her pieces.

Rose E. Ranauro is a painter from Massachusetts that depicts diagram-like self portraits to display her interpretation of living with fibromyalgia.

Philip Fryer is a performance artist who does a lot of performance and sound work based on chronic pain.

The Pain Exhibit is "an online educational, visual arts exhibit from artist with chronic pain with their art expressing some facet of the pain experience. The mission is to educate healthcare providers and the public about chronic pain through art, and to give voice to the many who suffer in silence."

     As always, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them in the comments or send them to me and I will add them above!

Regards,

Shannon G.

No comments:

Post a Comment